Search This Blog

Monday 31 July 2017

New spot in the wind!

The other day I had a half day off and thought it was a good opportunity to check out a spot that I've been wanting to fish for ages... Its very close to one of my favourite shallow water marks that I favour when there are strong Southerlies (as it has been lately).
I had my Apia with me and also wanted to get some footage of it in action and was thinking that Id soon have it in my sheltered spot..
After going through various lures I managed to get two pollock on a metal and softplastic but the bites were few and far between.
I thought it might be worth checking out the aforementioned spot even though it was exposed to the wind. A short walk later I arrived to the ledge and the sea here was much rougher with plenty of whitewater close in. The kelp was almost up to the surface close in but further out the bottom was cleaner and the depth grew abruptly though still only 10m or so..
I decided to stick to lures that would swim through the kelp without snagging and thus the two most effective presentations were: a 20g Salty Bait baited with a slim sp, and a slim jerkbait style sp on a 30g Crazyg offset jighead.
After a few casts I started getting some serious takes and fish in quick succession. They were clearly there in numbers and were staging just in front and to the side of a rocky spit where the wind and current 'broke'. These were good 4-5lbs fish and this signifies a good mark in my book!
The only problem is that this spot is tidal and thus I had to leave after a while as the water was rising..
Definitely going there again!
Below some pics and a video of the session.

A hard fighter!

Salty Bait slays...

A bruiser...








Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: APIA Foojin'R Best Bower 96 MLX
Reel: Shimano Stradic FK C3000
Mainline: Unitika Shore Game X8 PE 1.2
Leader: Daiwa Tournament FC fluorocarbon 18lbs
Lures: 20g Duel Salty bait with sandeel sp, 30g Ocean Ruler offset Crazyg jighead with 5" jerkbait style sp.


No comments:

Post a Comment