Search This Blog

Saturday 5 March 2016

East Coast with the heavy gear.

On my last days off, and after finally having the car back on the road as well as my heavier reels back from service, I really wanted to head to St Abbs again and tackle with the big fish that I lost on my previous session there with my friend Giorgos. The conditions weren't identical, as it was much colder now, but the winds were from the West and would change to Northeasterlies later on... I have always found that fishing just before such changes can be very productive and was hoping that this would happen again... It has to be said though that I wasn't expecting any great flurries of fish and was just counting on a few good bites throughout day.
I was going to fish from the low tide onwards and high tide was about 19:00. I reached the mark around 12 o clock and started hiking down the cliffs to a spot that I haven't fished before but looked good enough and was near my favourite rock ledge anyway.
Thankfully the rocks were dry and I didn't have any serious issues even though the studs on my boots were almost worn out. I did however realise that I should have carried some rope with me as there was a very fishy rock-point just out of reach... Maybe next time..
Bright sky early on..


Overcast and cold later in the day.

Nevertheless I started fishing with a 15g cheburashka, #1/0 offset worm hook and a 3'' Scalp Minnow by Crazy-Fish. I aimed for a protruding rock about 30m away and after a few casts, I got hit on the retrieve! I was retrieving over a reef and that's where the fish hit so my first thoughts went to a good coalie or pollock. Unsurprisingly the fish went straight into a snag and I pushed it too hard till I heard the line ping! In retrospect I should have let the fish come out but I was just too impatient...
After some more casts around, I decided it was time to move to my usual spot.
Its important to note that although cold, the place felt more 'alive' than last time, with plenty of seabirds and even a seal swimming about..
I reached my favourite spot after an energetic hike up and down the rocks and started fishing straight away. I tried some metals as well but had no joy and decide to get the 'secret weapon' out! Being nothing else than my favourite Salty Bait inchiku with Gulp Sandeel combo.
On my second cast I got hit soon after touch down and this felt like another good fish. After a couple strong runs and some drag I managed to bring it close enough to see colour, and I thought it was a good pollock, but then the fish made a last run into the kelp and got unhooked with the well known 'kelp leverage method'... My disappointment couldn't be described...
I soldiered on but the place went dead after that. Moreover the weather was already turning and it started raining. I headed off as I was concerned about my boot's grip again and started walking back to the car. On the way back I thought of doing a few casts from a ledge that I don't fish very often as its the one most heavily pressured (in summertime. I didn't see another angler in both sessions). I didn't even bother to take the camera and hastily put on a cheburashka and an old Berkley Pogy paddletail that I found in my lure box...  As it happens I got a take on the first cast O.T.D! I gave the lure a pause and a twitch and the fish was on! It fought well but this time I took it easy and I soon had it at the base of the rocks. Now this spot is like a rock wall and very steep so I had to scramble down and perch precariously on a small piece of rock while trying to pull the fish up with the line. The line was just about holding and I managed to hoist a good pollock up to my feet. I held it there for a second while tying for a lip-grip but the fish wriggled and managed to throw the hook and back it went! I was left speechless! At least I got to see it and I touched the leader so it counts..lol
The 'lost trasure'!

I kept casting in the vicinity and then got snagged. I popped the rod a couple times and managed to set the lure free.. As I retrieved it back though, I got a good take and this felt like a very serious fish!
Unfortunately it threw the hook after a screeching run and I soon discovered why.. The hook point got blunt and bent from the snag!
Bellow the vid of the first two lost fish.

Lets just say that this wasn't my lucky day but despite the lost fish, I somehow felt positive. This maybe because I realised that all the fish were pollock and not the big coalies or cod that I was really after.  It would have been soul-crushing if I lost a 5+lbs cod...
I believe that I'll give the East Coast a rest for a while, not because the fishing is not worth the effort, but because I believe it will be even more productive in a month or two, while the sea-lochs offer much more action right now.

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod:  MC KG Evolution KGS-902L, 2.7m, 7-23g.
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX 40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: YGK Nitlon DFC flouorocarbon 16lbs
Lures: 20g Duel Salty Bait/4"Gulp Sandeel, 15g cheburashka with 3" Crazy-Fish Scalp Minnow and 3'' Berkley Pogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment