Search This Blog

Thursday 10 March 2016

Something different...

After my visit to the East coast last week I needed some easy fishing close to home and was contemplating a visit to the canal. On the last moment though I decided to go for something Ive never done before... Fish in a commercial trout pond! I had the idea for a while in my mind and thought that it would be nice to have some pure fun fishing with loads of farmed rainbow trout hitting my lures and also keeping a couple for dinner.
The fishing wasn't exactly like that in the end but it was an interesting experience and something I should consider doing more often when I got no time for venturing further afield.
I thus decided to visit one of the few such fisheries that allow spinning (Why aren't there more of them?!) and get a half day ticket. The weather on the day was very windy with a couple showers early on but was meant to settle down later in the day. Counting on this I started at about 12:00.
I was using LRF gear and my first lure on, was my old and trusted Megabass Izabella spoon at 2.2g.
I began fishing in one of the ponds and picked the side that had the wind face on, as I usually find the trout like that judging from previous occasions. It took a good few casts to get the first bite and this only came after I slowed the retrieve right down and fished the lure near the bottom. It was a nice fighting size for the LRF gear and I was hoping it was the start of many more fish to come!
First fish of the day.

Unfortunately things didn't work out like this and I had no more takers for another hour, even though I changed many lures (hard and soft) and retrieve styles. I kept moving though and tried another pond.
This pond was shallow and weedy and I decided to go for a small olive-coloured Ecogear SX40F.
Within the first few casts I had a take and a better fish on the end of my line. It was a nice rainbow with beautiful colours but very fat! It fought ok (nothing like their wild brothers of course) and soon I had it on the bank. I persisted on this pond as the weather was getting better and I could see some flashes in the water and after a while I got another good fish on a 6g spoon that managed to shed the hook soon after.
What a fatty!
Overall it wasn't the easiest and most productive 4 hour session I ever had but it was a welcome change from the saltwater and I reckon with a few more fish about and slightly less wind it could be quite enjoyable fishing. These fish may not fight anywhere near as good as the wild ones but on the LRF gear and adding the visual aspect of it, they can provide some excellent fun! Im already thinking of some different presentations to try and tempt these trout so I will definitely try these ponds again...
Below a video of the day.

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Shimano Biomaster 1000fb
Mainline: Gosen mebarin braid 0.3PE
Leader: Toray premium fluorocarbon, 6lbs.
Lure: Megabass Izabella 2.2g, Ecogear SX40F, Yo Zuri Altima spoon 5g (fish lost)

No comments:

Post a Comment