Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2016

More trout!

Went to the tout pond again and this time I tried something different. It was a sunny and calm day and I could see the fish moving near the surface at the central part of the ponds. In order to reach them but also to present them with a slow sinking presentation, I decided to use a 5g bombarda in caro rigging. I added a 40cm hooklength with a light (1g) jighead in the end and tried a variety of softbaits. After some casts I decided to switch the jighead to a #8 hook as I wanted an even slower/natural presentation. I put on a 2" Berkley Gulp Fish Fry and after a couple casts I got a take and fish on! It was a nice plump rainbow and after an ok fight I managed to land her.
A fat beauty..

I persisted with this presentation and got some more hits and bumps but without  hookups. The sun was high now and there was no wind so I opted for a complete change in tactics...
I switched spool to the one with 3lbs fluoro straight through and a 2.2g Megabass Izabella at the business end. I saw a fish rising and splashing near some trees and headed there. I got a hit but not hookup on the first cast and after a few more casts I got a solid take and a screaming drag! This was a different animal! It even jumped and for a moment I thought it might be a brownie! After a couple more runs I had this one landed as well and it was clear that this fish had passed a considerable amount of time in the pond... Much leaner, darker and with scars from bird attacks, it was a real warrior.
Rugged fighter.
 Below the video of the action.


I think that this was probably one of my last trips to the trout ponds as I'm planning for some different and 'grander' things to come...

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Shimano Biomaster 1000fb
Mainline: Gosen mebarin braid 0.3PE, Toray BAWO superhard upgrade Fluorocarbon 3.9lbs.
Leader: Toray premium fluorocarbon, 6lbs.
Lure: Megabass Izabella 2.2g, 2" Berkley Gulp Fish Fry.



No comments:

Post a Comment