Search This Blog

Sunday 11 August 2013

Early morning bass.

For days now I have been wanting to do some early morning sessions for bass, but work took its toll on me and I just couldn't be bothered getting out of bed! Today though it was a different story...
I woke up around 06:30 and grabbed the gear that I had prepped from last night. After a short walk I reached the mark as the tide was coming in.
The mark is a point with two gullies around it, very close to a channel between the main island and a smaller one. There are very strong currents in the channel and this place is kind of a 'refuge' for smaller fish.
I started fishing with a Sakura  Majikeel Shad Tail 12.5cm on a 10g Delalande articulated leadhead with a #2/0 Maruto Offset hook. After letting the lure touch bottom on a tight line I got the first familiar bite of the day and the first feisty wrasse was straight on,,, Getting the fish out I got a quick snap and let it go back.. After a few more casts I got the same thing again and another wrasse came up.. This fish was strangely familiar and after checking the photos later, it was actually the same fish!

I didn't just flip it over!
After a while I wanted to move to the other gully, but just as I was getting the lure out of the water a bass attacked and almost gave me a heart attack! A bad habit of this fish to hit when you least expect it... Of course I didn't hook the fish and after persisting more without any more action, I moved to the other gully. The tide had risen considerably and now covered a large boulder that is a very prominent feature in the middle of the gully. I flicked the lure right up to it and let it fall on a tight line. As the lure was nearing the bottom, it was taken.. I snapped the rod upwards and the fish woke-up. As soon as it started fighting, I knew it wasn't a wrasse. The fish was moving out of the gully and fighting at midwater taking considerable line. The fight lasted a good few minutes but eventually managed to bring the fish in and was left admiring her beauty.. I estimated the fish at around 3-4lbs and let her go after a few photos. Persisting in the same gully and after some more casts, while I was retrieving the
lure from the bottom I saw four fish circling it and in a second the larger one snapped the lure... A very good fight ensued but again the fish was landed safely and now I was over the moon! This was a larger specimen and absolutely stunning.. I took a couple photos and she was back in the sea, where her mates were waiting for her... After the second fish I tried some different lures and got some follows, but it was clear that the fish had been spooked. Thus feeling very happy chappy I went back home for a quick nap before work!
the first one.


the second.



Going back home.

the lure of the day.


A very successful short session that I hope to repeat soon. The fish are there and feed at very strict times/patterns as they do back in the Mediterranean, although with a marked preference for daylight hunting.

Tight Lines


Gear used.

Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Berkley Nanofil 0.10mm, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lbs
Rig: Delalande articulated leadhead 10g, 2/0 Maruto Worm 19 weedless hooks
Lures: Sakura Majikeel Shad Tail 12.5cm Soft version.

No comments:

Post a Comment