Search This Blog

Friday 23 August 2013

New reel christened..

For some time now I have been wanting to get a proper sized reel for my medium rockfishing tactics and rod. So far I couldn't justify buying a new one as the little Mitchell has done very well for years.. Lately though it started to show signs of strain and since I'm going on holidays soon, I didn't want to risk being left without a reel. Thus I bought myself a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f that really makes a nice combo with my Major Craft KG Evolution.
Wanting to try it as soon as possible, I decided on an early session for bass the next day.  The braid I filled it with, was the Spiderwire fluorobraid at 10lbs test,
I headed to my spot at around 06:00 and started out with a Sakura Magikeel shad tail on a 10g Delalande articulated leadhead. After getting some strikes without hookups I was getting a bit frustrated but persisted as the tide and time were still good.
 At some point I casted over very shallow water and speeding the lure up in order not to get snagged I saw a bass accelerating behind the lure and smash it in front of my feet!
 After a short fight I got the fish out and was really pleased managing to christen my new toy in the best way..


Later I got a smaller one on a Lunker City Swimming Ribster and a nice wrasse.

In the evening I went down to the harbour and after a few casts I got some nice squid and the usual night suspects.



Overall the reel seems very good  with a really even line lay, smooth drag and no wind knots on strong casts. Of course only time will tell if it was a good purchase but first impressions are good..
The fishing is really improving lately with most species being very active and obliging, The larger wrasse have become harder to catch as they seem to be definitely affected by the high temperatures and prefer to feed early in the day now, but I hope to get a good one before leaving the island. Moreover I have heard reports of black bream catches and I would really like to have a go at them with lures in the following weeks.

Tight lines!


Gear Used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f
Mainline: Spiderwire Ultracast Fluorobraid 10lbs, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lb
Lures: 4" Lunker City Swimming Ribster, 12cm Sakura Majikeel Shad Tail (soft)



No comments:

Post a Comment