Search This Blog

Thursday 15 August 2013

Squid are here.

I got some nice squid yesterday after realising they are finally here the day before. I was fishing with my usual LRF gear and getting weird bites near the bottom. After lifting the lure out of the water, there was a triangular part missing and I knew straight away the culprit. I was cursing my luck for not getting the squid jigs with me as I couldn't hook even a single one long enough to lift it up the harbour wall. Of course it was the only night I decided to leave the net home as well!
Yesterday though I was prepared for them with various squid jigs and the net..
I started fishing while the tide was coming in and got a nice squid straight away. It was stronger than expected and even managed to pull some line as I didn't have the drag set hard. Several more followed even when I changed to different jigs. Colour/make was unimportant. What seemed to make a difference was size, as the larger ones got caught on the larger jigs, and depth, with all coming from near the bottom. Even when they followed, a few more twitches usually saw them hooked and brought up.




The best way to kill them fast is the karate press behind the head..
I also put some softplastics on as the fish were having a party and got the usual suspects.



A different and very fun session that also gave me a good dinner next day as I love squid!

Tight lines!

Dimitrios

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Berkley Nanofil 0.10mm, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lb
Lures: various mainly sizes #3 and #2.5



2 comments:

  1. Μπράβο Δημήτρη,πολύ ωραία τα καλαμάρια!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Να σε καλα φιλΕ Ακη!

    ReplyDelete