Search This Blog

Sunday 22 September 2013

Expedition Mytilene: light rock fishing action.

As I haven't got an Internet connection here I will do a proper write up when I go home. The fishing has been quite spectacular at times, although at the ultralight scale! I can't believe the variety of species that show their predatory side when fishing like this..
Plenty of combers.
 

Ornate wrasse on metal!

Various types of Scorpionfish. I think this one is a Scorpaena maderensis. 
 

Octopus!

Goby.

I had a cracking night session in Mytilini harbour and even though I managed to lose a bass, a nice white sea bream and a small pelagic predator that shed the hook in the air! I still caught many fish and had a very good time.

Many painted combers. 



Annular sea bream. 




And a short session yesterday, produced the following:

Rainbow wrasse.




Smaller than the ones I'm used to...
Methods:
I am using mainly dropshot and jigheads for fishing down the harbour walls and into rock holes. And mini carolina rig (with one ssg shot 35cm from the hook) for shallower areas and distance work.
Most of the rockfish prefer a steady, slow-moderate (even fast at times!) retrieve near the bottom with some pauses. Breams prefer a lot of twitches and also a dragging- bottom retrieve.
A good tip is to use long shank hooks and jigheads as the bream will destroy many soft plastics but will keep biting down the hook if there's enough plastic left on.

Tight lines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment