Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Mytilene recap.

I left Mytilene yesterday and all in all I had a great time there. The fishing was secondary to be honest and whenever I fished it was light rock fishing. Although the island has the potential for good fish and I did have some good fish taking although not managing to land them, I wanted to see what can be caught on proper LRF gear and tactics in the Mediterranean and specifically the Aegean sea. When I was lure fishing in saltwater previously, I tried to target rock fish with the crude equipment I had at the time and the results were mixed most of the time. Especially the bream species were very hard to tempt and catch.
But after this trip I am confident that light rock fishing is THE way to fish in the Mediterranean.
The following are some more fish I caught and some tips for their fishing.

Sea bream.







  • Good results day or night, with bigger fish during night-time and when the water was choppy during the day.
  • Preference on lures with some scent, 1"- 2" best.
  • They come in groups so working an area thoroughly brings more fish.
Combers.








  • Painted comber usually solitary and territorial, Common comber may be in small groups as well.
  • Can take quite large lures.
  • Prefer faster and jerky retrieves.
  • Need to move a lot and cover ground.
  • Mostly daylight feeders

The above were the main species during daylight, along with some wrasse and a few surprises.
A baby grouper!

In night-time the main target was the Scorpion fish
Biggest one I caught in the island.
  • Can take very large lures
  • Drop lures straight down the harbour walls and rock holes.
  • Creature imitations very effective.

I am now home in Kavala, Greece and will be targeting various species in saltwater and freshwater soon. Im especially looking forward to visit the dams in Drama region, in order to get some of the many perch that live there... 

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rods: Golden Mean Symphonia, 8,6", 0.6-8g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000,
Mainline: Toray Bottom Attacker fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rigs: mini dropshot and carolina with ssg shot and #10-#12 split shotter hooks, jigheads.
Lures: various

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read...thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete