Search This Blog

Sunday 15 September 2013

Isle of Sark, a rock fishing paradise.

This will be the last post from Sark as I'm leaving tomorrow for Greece. Ive managed a night session in Thursday as the tide was favourable and was thinking of catching some squid to eat before I go as I love them. Also I wanted to catch some of the night predators and generally have an enjoyable last night session. The weather was perfect for fishing with a slight wind and fog but not cold at all.
I started with the squid jig after adding a sinker to it as its a slow sinker and I wanted to work near the bottom. I let the squid jig sink and after pausing a few seconds for it to settle, I gave some twitches and jerks on a sink-and-draw retrieve. The squid started coming fast even though the water was still low and I lost a couple good ones trying to pull them up the wall. I wasn't too bothered though as they seemed very positive on attacking and was getting more every cast. On one occasion I felt the usual 'touch' of the squid but not much of pulling back, just weight on the line. After bringing it to the surface I was greeted by a cuttlefish! I knew they are found in the Channel islands at around this time of year, but I didn't think I would get any as I'm leaving.



Unexpected guest!
After getting the cuttlefish I managed another much larger specimen, but lost it on the way up the wall. A few casts later I lost my only squid jig to a snag.. Not disappointed as I had all I needed, I switched to soft lures for scad and pollock fishing. I put a 4.5" Big Bite Shaking Squirrel on a 5g Sakura fishead jighead (a combo that has given me very good results) and started casting around. The fish didn't take long to respond and I was getting a steady stream of scad with the occasional pollock. The latter have started to come in numbers again and the size is getting bigger as well, as I hooked a nice one but again lost it on the way up.
I was starting to get many squid attacks and they destroyed my lures, so after a few more fish I called it a night.






Carnage!

 Today was my last day at work and I finished around 14:30. After saying goodbye to my colleagues, I headed down the harbour to say goodbye to the fish as well!
The weather has turned bad  with gale force winds, but in the harbour I would have the wind on my back so I didn't mind. I was mainly expecting garfish but secretly hoping for a black bream.
I started with 2.5 and 3g jigheads with 2" Berkley Fish fry and 3" Mebaru Bushi. I was letting the lure reach bottom and working it slowly hoping it or dragging along the bottom. A couple casts in and got a garfish on the drop that put up the usual entertaining fight. Another one followed a bit later and then the Guernsey ferry arrived and moored in the harbour. The engine was on and creating a lot of current and commotion in the water. I switched to a 7g Yoshikawa metal jig, armed with two extra assist hooks and casted near the current. I got some bites and then managed to hook another nice garfish. I was getting more bites but even with two assist hooks, its tricky to hook these fish and I got some unhooked close in.



Rigged for Garfish.
After the ferry went I started casting on the inner side of the harbour. I was working the jig on the bottom opening the bail and letting line out every few turns of the handle. And soon I got a sharp tap and an erratic aggressive fight. I thought it might be a scad but the fish was fighting near the bottom. a few moments later I saw silver but not in the shape I was expecting.. It was a small black bream and it made me really happy as I managed to get all the species I wanted from the Island!

Feisty even small

The squid started coming thick and fast and were getting hooked on the jig even better than the squid jig! And so after a few I decided to head home as I was soaked wet by that point..
No need for squid jigs!

I don't think I have ever fished in a place so prolific with fish and of different species.. Although the island is not a place for a potential record fish (except maybe wrasse), the fishing is varied and with a bit of effort, very rewarding. I hope to come back one day again as I cant get enough of the fishing here.
All in all I have enjoyed the fishing for all species , but there is one that has a special place in my heart and is the reason I came here in the first place.. It is not the bass but the beautiful and obliging Ballan wrasse! A fish that I will really miss in the Mediterranean but I'm gonna target Its cousins down there!

An awsome species.

Angler's paradise?



Thanks for reading and more to follow soon!

Gear Used.

Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g and Golden Mean Symphonia, 8.6", 0.6-8g
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f and Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Spiderwire Ultracast Fluorobraid 10lbs, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lb and Toray Bottom Attacker Fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Lures: various







No comments:

Post a Comment