Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 September 2013

The best day off ever!

Today was my last day off for the season as I'm leaving the island on Monday. Thus I was planning to make the most of it in terms of fishing. Firstly, I would hit my morning mark for bass and also try for mullet, then head to the East side to target big wrasse and then at midday go to a mark only accessible during low tide that yesterday saw a friend of mine catch two bass and lose another.
I headed off at around 07:00 and finding the sea choppy and the water cloudy, I was in high spirits for the outcome of the session. I started casting various soft lures but didn't get any action and seeing the mullet feeding hard on the surface, I decided to go for plan B and target them instead. I read on line that other anglers target them successfully with small spinners baited with Power Isome and i did the same. I used a #1 Mepps Aglia silver spinner and half a pink medium Power Isome on the treble. I started casting near the feeding shoals and did see some interest form the fish. I kept casting closer to the shoal and aimed to pass the lure through the mass of open mouths hoping to get a reaction bite.. I got a few plucks and finally a solid take followed by a near unstoppable run! The fish was peeling line of the reel even with the drag set quite hard. It was making powerful runs that put to shame all bass and for a moment I thought i foul-hooked it. After a few minutes the fish started to get tired and with the help of a wave I brought it in. The fish was hooked fair and square in the mouth and thus got me more confident in targeting them by spinning. After hundreds of more casts I managed to get another one, that fought even harder.. What a pity this fish is not more predatory!

Nicely hooked

Fought like hell!
After the mullet got scared away from the fight of the second fish I decided to switch back to the Bass lures. After a few casts while retrieving I gave the lure a pause and I got a bite. The fish was on and after a few runs I got a nice bass on the rocks.

I then moved to the Eastern mark but other than a small wrasse on a modified Savagear Sandeel on articulated jighead, I got no more fish, something that I was expecting though as the time had passed and wrasse feed very early lately.

After a few hours rest, I picked up my gear to go and meet a friend fishing in a mark near the North called window in the rock. On reaching the mark, I saw him already with a nice bass of 55cm that he had just landed. Losing no time, i rigged up and started casting as I know that the fish here feed for a short time around 2-3 hours before low tide and then move on. After a couple casts and seeing my friend get some bites, it was my turn with a solid take and following a decent fight another bass landed. I quickly took some pics and released the fish in order to recast. On the second cast I was in again this time with a larger fish that came up quickly and was just thrashing on the surface. It only did a half-hearted run and i got it in soon after. The fish had engulfed the whole lure and that explains the disappointing fight. After using the pliers to remove the hook I let her go in good condition.
The first one.

And the second.
I was really happy with my results and wasn't bothered after missing two bites as I couldnt ask for more! This was my last serious fishing session on the Island and it all came along as I would like. I might try for a big wrasse the following days but I'm now in planning mode for my holidays..

Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f
Mainline: Spiderwire Ultracast Fluorobraid 10lbs, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lb
Lures: 12cm Sakura Majikeel Shad Tail (soft), Savagear Sandeel (modified weedlesss), #1 Mepps Aglia spinner, medium Power Isome























No comments:

Post a Comment