Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 May 2016

A productive rainy day.

Yesterday  I ventured to a couple northern marks as we had brisk southerly winds and I usually opt to be out of the wind.. It was a wet day though so that dampened the fishing experience somewhat...
First stop, a mark usually accessible only around low tide, in a kelp-filled bay. Even though it still seems early for the shallower marks, a couple casts with a metal/teaser combo saw a nice fish being caught, but not much after that... I think Ill leave the shallow areas for a couple more weeks.
I then moved to my deep water mark near Duntulum and had much steadier action there. I also managed to get my first cuckoo wrasse of the season, and a stunning male at that! I think Ill try and target them specifically with the finesse gear this season as they are so beautiful and also fun to catch.
Got some more pollock but the place seemed relatively quiet comparing to other times, with the fish being very localised and picky. Moreover the bites dried up completely towards the end of the day but anyway I had caught enough and it was time to go.
Just before I left the mark though, I passed from an often overlooked rocky outcrop that oversees a shallow, kelpy bay. I had a few casts there and before long I got two nice fish but only managed to land one as the other one dropped the lure... A good sign nevertheless that these areas will be full of life soon.
Even with the rain and wind, a session on Skye never disappoints!
Somehow I managed to fail getting the pics properly but below are the ones that came out along with a video of most of the day's action.

Absolutely stunning!

Rugged skinny fighter.

Almost orange!




And the video:


As already mentioned, don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to sample the fine saltwater fishing on Skye!

Tight lines all!

Gear used.
Rod: Tica Seha Graphite, 2.7m, 1/4oz-1/2oz (10-30g actual)
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 20lbs
Lures: 20g metal jigs with added sabiki teaser on the leader and then 20g cheburashka with 2/0 EWG offset hook and an Ecogear Grassminnow L.

2 comments:

  1. The colours are really vibrant against the wet dark rock-nice.

    ReplyDelete