Search This Blog

Thursday 26 May 2016

Rubha Hunish.

On Monday I had favourable conditions and I was finally able to visit the northernmost tip of the Isle of Skye, Rubha Hunish. From reports I've read it has a good depth and plenty of current, a combination that always means fish! It was a fair trek though and that's why I set off early on in the morning. I aimed to be fishing just after high tide and after making my decent from the cliffs I was soon stationed on a rocky point and fishing away...
I only took one setup (heavier) with me on the day as I wanted to be as light and mobile as possible and started fishing with my metal/teaser combo as usual. I got straight into fish and this went on for a good hour at that spot, bringing in nice coalies and average pollock cast after cast.
This first spot was relatively shallow and after the bites dried up, I moved to the front of the point and started fishing. The water had started to move now and the current was getting noticeable. I was getting bites and plenty of pollock but not all were landed, either because they took me to the only kelp bed in the area (in front of my feet!) or by weak hook-holds (using simple round bend worm-hooks instead of my usual EWG's). As there were loads of fish about, I decided to try a variety of tactics and presentations to see if it would make a difference to the bite rate.. Thus I used metals, cheburashka rigged paddletails and ripple/curly tails, straights (Sluggos) on darting jigheads and in the end, my new Magbite Vassalo swimming jigs tipped with Gulp Sandeel.
To be honest everything worked... For a time...As soon as the bites would dry up on one presentation, a change to something different would usually see more bites develop. This is a common behaviour especially when fish are shoaled up as they were.

Its a long hike...

A bit 'hairy'...

Double shots galore!

My first spotted pollock...


On the darting action.


Impressive.

The rocks are teeming with birdlife.

Vassalo!

Need to get over that on the way back...

After fishing and exploring for a few hours, the bites slowed down while it was approaching low tide and feeling full of the days fishing I decided to call it a day. I didn't get any big fish but the potential for them on this mark is evident. Moreover I'm impressed with the sizes of the coalies lately and it wont be long till I do a light game session just for them!
Next time I visit this mark though, I'll come prepared with food and drink as its not really suited for quick sessions!
Bellow the videos of the day. To be honest there were more fish caught but it just got tedious pulling one fish after the other in... lol






Things are livening up and I'm soon gonna be doing some reconnaissance for more marks. It is surprising how many areas are overlooked...
Moreover I'm looking to fine-tune my gear and I'm on the lookout for a new setup that would allow me to fish more effectively in the marks and conditions that I'm now faced with.

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Tica Seha Graphite, 2.7m, 1/4oz-1/2oz (10-30g actual)
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 20lbs
Lures:Various

No comments:

Post a Comment