Search This Blog

Thursday 12 May 2016

On the rocks of Neist...

Yesterday was another beautiful day here and I was glad that it was my day off! The wind was coming from the East and thus I thought it was time to visit the most well known mark on the Island...
In fear of the previous monster encounter at the last session I got the old gun out! (Tica Seha Graphite, 2.7m, 1/4oz1/2oz) a rod that's been with me for a long time and still going strong after some serious use and abuse...  I don't use this rod too much these days as its super-fast and lacks real finesse, but never thought of selling it either as there are times that it proves very useful. It is supposedly rated up to 1/2oz but in reality its a 10g-30g rod. I love my Japanese-actioned rods, be they seabass, mebaru, ajing etc but I don't think that most Japanese seabass rods cut it for serious pollock fishing, such as we have here. It would've been awesome if the Japanese had a similar species as they would probably have designed dedicated rods for them by now...!
Contrary to typical sea-loch marks (deep channels with rough edges, basins, deep rocky passes) most marks here are usually shallower and the Kelp is just thick everywhere and makes fish extraction much more difficult. Needless to say about the substantially larger fish sizes as well... Thus I'm on the lookout for a beefier yet still 'finessy' and sensitive enough  rod to allow the use of more delicate presentations. Until the time I find it though, the old gun will suffice!
And today it did just that. I fished mostly with 20g metals and added a sabiki teaser further up the leader as I heard of early mackerel showing up and wanted to maximise my chances.
I was fishing at about the high tide mark and I was soon in to some plumb coalfish... One of them was around 2lbs and put up a very energetic fight, although with a locked drag it couldn't do too much... On the LRF rods though it would've been a fight to remember!

A nice coalie.
I soon started getting double shots of coalies and pollock on the rig but most were of a small size. It took another 30mins when the tide was starting to move again till I got some better fish. Most bar one hit the metal jig and the vast majority of bites came O.T.D or soon after touchdown. Moreover although the fish were evidently in some numbers, they weren't feeding very aggressively as I had lots of missed takes and tentative bites. Their fights were largely unspectacular as well and this can only be due to the 'skinny' condition of these fish and the still cold water. Under the sun though, it was a glorious day and I was catching!

Double pollock!

A decent one on the teaser.

Bar of copper...



Best one of the day..

 After a while the bites started to dry up as the flow intensified and I thought it was time to move to another spot. Other than a coalie though I got nothing more and decided to call it a day and go get a bevy as I had quite alot of sun...
Below a video of most of the action, check out the doubles!

I think that this was about as much good weather we could get, so I'll probably be fishing in the rain and wind next week, I just hope that the fish play along!
Please don't forget to hit me up if you would like to sample some of the fishing here!

Tight Lines

Gear used.
Rod: Tica Seha Graphite, 2.7m, 1/4oz-1/2oz (10-30g actual)
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 20lbs
Lures: 20g metal jigs with added sabiki teaser on the leader.

2 comments:

  1. Nice video and some good action there. Heading up on Saturday/Sunday so hopefully will have similar success plus bait rods going too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a goodun! hopefully the weather will be nice for you.

      Delete