Search This Blog

Saturday 14 May 2016

The fish of 1000 casts...

As the title says, one day after my very productive session on Neist, I went to a mark in the South and really struggled... The conditions changed drastically and although it was still sunny, the temperature dropped and we had strong Northeasterly winds. I arrived at the mark shortly after the high tide and after catching a coalie on the first cast with a metal, I had high hopes for this session. Unfortunately fish had a different opinion and for another two hours I got no fish.
I was fishing with my finesse gear, as this mark is one of a few up here that allows for it, and a few times I could feel some weird nibbles when the lure touched down along with a couple knocks OTD a couple times.  I went through various lures but in the end the simplest presentation with a naturally coloured (pumpkin/black flake) 3" Charlie Brewer Bass grub, on a 10g cheburashka did the business. I cast the lure at the entrance of a gully and felt a very light nibble. I worked the lure on the spot but the fish was just not taking. I then accelerated the lure and lifted it of the bottom and after a couple taps I finally felt a take! This was the hardest to convince pollock that I've ever caught!
This fish wasn't the largest or hardest fighting  pollock out there, but I felt truly victorious after I caught it...!
It just goes to show how finicky fish can get sometimes when the conditions are not as they like.
A wily pollock...

Tight Lines!

Gear Used.

Rod: Majorcraft KG Evolution Sensitive Custom KGS-862SC (2.62m, 4-18g)
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore x4 PE0.8 
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader FC, 12lbs
Lure: 3" Charlie Brewer Bass grub on a 10g Cheburashka.




No comments:

Post a Comment