Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Going for the bigger ones.

I have had a couple sessions lately where I've been targeting slightly larger fish with the same lrf setup and the results have been turning out quite good as the fish seem to be feeding well. The main rigs and presentations I use are the long dropshot (40cm lead to lure), carolina rig and texas rig although not always with offset hooks as the light lines and big depths don't allow for easy hook-sets. Moreover I tried double dropshot rigs with teasers and had success on them as well. The main overall factor that determines the frequency of bites is unfortunately the weight of the rig and its sink rate as a result. I say unfortunately because they do prefer very light rigs (2g-3.5g-5g) and the wind up here gets funnelled up and down the loch and its always strong. Thus, the use of braid although advantageous in calm conditions in these depths and larger fish, doesn't work so well with the wind. Especially if we consider that so far many fish bite on the drop (OTD)..
The fluorocarbon mainline is the way to go here and I'm also going to try some over the 4lbs limit to see if they can bring better results when going after these larger fish. What troubles me is the 'behaviour' of thicker fluoro mainlines but I have to try them for the following reasons: I had a lot of tackle losses and also lost a couple good pollock that managed to cut the line as their teeth are more developed and chafe the line on even a medium drag..
As I have mentioned previously slim soft lures are proving to be the most effective and if they have some glow built in then its even better. Recently I have been using some 4" Berkley gulp sandeels that I had forgotten somewhere in my tackle bags, and the fish seem to go mad for them even though they are quite stiff.. Another very successful softbait, mainly for the pollock, is the 3" Jackall Mebaru Bushi Long in pink, but I do think that any lure with similar profile and a bit of glow would do good if presented right at these aggressive fish!
Bellow are some pics of the fish I got with the aforementioned setup and rigs.  Today I managed two nice pollock of about a kilo each but also lost a good specimen that cut the line..

On long dropshot and Berkley sandeel.

Lure disappeared!

This poor cod is almost the size of the lure!

Some codling here have very vibrant colours.




A good pollock

Their teeth are quite abrasive to the thin lines.

Another good one. Never get tired of them!



 Overall I think that the results are getting better and with some adjustments and tweaks in tackle and presentation I will find even more and better fish from this mark.. I think that this kind of lrfing for the medium sized fish is the more serious side of light game but also the most rewarding, both due to managing to fool the larger fish but also because of the fights that are spectacular.

Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon fluorocarbon, 4lbs
Rig:carolina, texas, long dropshot, double dropshot.
lure: slim glowing lures proving very effective, 2.5"-4".













No comments:

Post a Comment