Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Quick fun with pollock and coalfish.

I have had a busy week at work and this really limited my time out fishing. I managed a couple sessions and thankfully the fish obliged..
The other day, the weather was surprisingly good and it would have been a shame to stay indoors, thus on my break from work I got the rods and headed up for Loch Etive on my favourite mark.
The tide was coming in and the waters moving. I have found that in these conditions, pollock prefer to be stationed around the walls of narrow passes trying to intercept moving prey. I positioned myself on a rock at the mouth of the natural harbour and started making casts. I was fishing long slim soft plastics on a carolina rig with a 3.5gr olivette followed by a bead , swivel and 30cm of line to a Decoy MG2 hook.
I was making the casts near the opposite walls and closing the bail arm I let them sink in an arc. Most bites came on the drop (OTD) and the pollock seemed very interested in my offerings. I have been trying some slightly glowing lures and had positive results with them as well. After about an hour of catching a few, I had to go back to work. Feeling much happier of course!
The narrow pass connecting the Basin to the loch.



He really wanted it.





A lonely codling
I got another opportunity for a short session after work a couple nights ago targeting the coalfish at the local Pier. I think coalfish are becoming a new favourite of mine...
Plenty of them around in the shallows and I also saw some large ragworms moving about as they are breeding. Don't know how they get past the ravenous hordes of coalfish though!
Best results with a simple 2g #8 jighead and a 2" slim softbait. Steady retrieves very good with occasional pauses and jerks and also trying to pass the lure just off structure.


not just coalfish here..







The occasional baby pollock are no match for the coalfish.



Will be going out in my days off so hopefully will have more to write about..

Tight lines


Gear used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Berkley nanofil, 6lbs
Rig:carolina
lure: slim lures proving more effective glow is good as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment