Search This Blog

Sunday 6 April 2014

More action and then a blank!

A few days ago I visited Loch Etive again for my weekly fish-fix. I arrived at the loch around mid day and although there was a strong breeze coming down, I was not disappointed as I thought to use the wind to my advantage. So I started fishing near the start of the basin and was planning to make casts towards the middle of it and allow the lure to sink on a tight line and be drifted by the wind. The casts weren't very long but fish seemed to be holed up quite close in. I fished a 2g jighead and a 2" Sakura AJ worm as it was heavy enough to cast but also light enough to be moved by the wind in a controlled manner. Moreover the AJ worm is of glow material something that Ive found to really attract these deep water fish.
As soon as the lure hit bottom it got attacked most times and although I was using nanofil instead of fluorocarbon, I was usually able to tell when the fish bite by the line movement changes. The reason why I didn't go to fluorocarbon was because I intended for the line to be lighter and easier to move with the wind. Fish started coming thick and fast with codling and pollock dominating the catches.


Id never think codling were so aggressive!







After a while I got my fair share of these little fish and I decided to move towards the mouth of the basin to target the larger pollock with the Carolina rig. I followed the same tactic like last time where I would cast near the opposite rock wall and let the rig fall on tight line. The fish weren't as aggressive as last time but they seemed to commit a few turns in the retrieve after the fall. I got plenty of fish close to a pound along with a nice fish of around 2.5lbs that fought superbly but lost a much better specimen after it manged to chafe and cut the line on it teeth. I was not using fluorocarbon as a leader opting for a strong mono but alas it doesn't have the abrasion resistance of braid. Lesson learnt...
I also got a bonus species as a little trout attacked the lure just as I was retrieving it fast to get it over some weed and out of the water!


What else will I catch in there?!

A good fighter.


The next day and after getting my license I went for my first freshwater session in Loch Awe. A truly awe-inspiring loch that I'm sure holds some good fish although it may take some searching.. I fished for a few hours changing several spots but without seeing any action.. Although there were dead insects in the water, I saw no surface activity and I guess Ill have to persist..
Loch Awe at the Castle.

beautiful place.
Lets see what this week brings..

Tight lines

Gear used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Berkley nanofil, 6lbs
Rig:carolina, jighead
lure: slim glowing lures proving very effective.



























No comments:

Post a Comment