Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Trying for more.

The past week I tried to cramp in as much fishing as I could, due to the weather being fair and wanting to try more spots. I put in a couple of night sessions without finding the target species I was after, that being cod, but managed to get a few pollock to avoid the blanks.
On Saturday I went on my usual mark in Loch Etive and was planning to target the pollock at the mouth of the basin and then move further up the coast towards some marks I found on Google Earth. I got a codling at first and then a nice pollock of 53cm that gave an excellent fight!
I decided to move straight after this fish to check the new marks as I was pretty happy with the session so far. After a bit a of a walk and a hike down the rocks I could see there was a good depth in the water with plenty of kelp close in. After a few casts I realised the depth was considerable and was hoping for something special but I got no bites in the deep. Instead I caught two codling when the lure was almost vertical on the base of the rocks. Obviously the codling prefer the structure and feed where the rocks meet the silty bottom. The light was fading fast and I decided to go back at the basin for a last crack on the pollock but only managed a couple small ones. In several other night sessions I have found mostly smaller pollock while the bigger ones feed closer to sundown.
On Saturday I tried again at Loch Awe for trout but again had no luck although I saw some small fish near the shore and that gives me hope for the following sessions. In the evening I went up Etive again but with no luck this time.
Overall Im satisfied with the results except on the freshwater side but I will intensify my efforts there soon. The new marks in Etive definitely need more sessions to see if something better comes out from there but the fishing is getting better.

A lovely pollock!

Steep drop offs should provide the surprise..

Codling are always near structure and kelp.

Massive mouths!

Night pollock.


I have been mainly using different variations of double lure rigs fishing hard on the bottom. I prefer to use Berkley Gulp or  Ecogear aqua bait as the main lure and adding smaller fluorescent soft plastics as teasers. In this way I combine scent and something appealing to the eye as well. Appears to be working well and I'm hoping I'll soon get some larger codling on it.
If weather stays calm again this week I'll try and finally get a freshwater fish somewhere!

Tight lines

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel:Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f.
Mainline: Seaguar Kanzen braid 10lbs.
Rig: double lure rigs
lure: Berkley gulps mostly


2 comments:

  1. Dimitrios
    I assume that you are fishing a drop shot rig. Have you thought of adding a luminous bead so it rests on top of the hook. It will give plenty of attraction in the depths. The Americans use beads on the perch rigs in the States.

    Another excellent report.

    Regards

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David thanks for commenting, I use variations of double dropshot and paternoster rig, I add lumi beads on Carolina rig which is also very effective. On the dropshot one of the plastics is usually luminous and I try and keep it charged. Seems to be working well!

    Tight lines!

    ReplyDelete