Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Weird night game.

The title of this post refers to the behaviour of the fish I encountered yesterday night. I finished earlier from work and I went up to my Loch Etive mark while there was still light. I intended to use some blade baits until nightfall but there was little current as it was approaching high tide and after a few casts I decided to change lure. I tried a spinner and caught a small pollock but it wasn't until I put on a 2.8" Keitech Sexy Impact on a 3g jighead that things started to liven up. I got a couple fish OTD and in the retrieve before nightfall. It is new moon this week and the sky was very dark, but I persisted with my presentation to see what could be had as I was curious if fish would attack in such dark conditions and deep water on a small finesse bait.
I then witnessed the unusual behaviour I mentioned where the fish would hit the bait OTD or a few seconds after touchdown but not really on the retrieve. The lure would hit bottom and I would usually get a nimble bite straight on but if not and I started the retrieve either straight or with pauses and jerks not much would happen. The fish didn't seem to attack the bait but more like picking it off the bottom.
I hadn't encounter that behaviour before and I was surprised with how light some of these bites where. A couple times it felt like a very gentle and steady pull but I didn't manage to hook the fish so I'm not sure if it was the pollock. After a few fish I wanted to try some 3" Berkley Gulp Alive Shrimp that I recently purchased. I mounted the shrimp on a 3.5g football jig trying to show a larger profile without adding weight as the fish seemed fixed on very light lures. After a few casts it became apparent that the fish preferred the smaller/light presentation but I persevered hoping that something else or a larger fish would go for my lure and after a couple bites from small fish I felt a single tap and set the hook on a nice fish. It fought nicely making three powerful runs before I managed to land it. A nice pollock of 55cm. I then released the fish but it was tired and needed some reviving so I bend stepping on a rock to straighten the fish and then slipped right into the water! And of course the fish swam straight away...Typical..
Plenty of this size caught on a 2.8" Keitech Sexy Impact and 3gr jighead.




The Berkley Gulp Alive Shrimp on a jig.

.. It worked fine!

He really wanted it.

After getting soaked I kept fishing but didn't get any more bites so I called it a night.. I did hear some splashes though that I have to check out if they were from fish...

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel:Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f.
Mainline: Seaguar Kanzen braid 10lbs.
Rig: jighead, jig
lure: Berkley gulp Alive shrimp, Keitech Sexy Impact


No comments:

Post a Comment