Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 May 2013

All day session..

Yesterday was my day off and I decided to fish a couple of marks on the island that cant be visited on my working days as they are too far or difficult to access. Saying that, I am now the proud owner of a bicycle that will help me to fish these places more often...
I visited the southern part of the island around 12 o clock and although there was a strong head-on wind, I decided to stay there as the tide was coming in and I was sure there would be some fish there. I was gonna be fishing with braid and beefier tackle as I wanted to check the rods action and also to limit my gear loss!
I begun fishing with a small pilker, in order to target some pollock as I haven't found the best areas for these fish yet.
After a few casts I finally got a good bite and following a good fight I got what I wanted! A nice pollock that looked as rough as the water he came out off, was in the net.. I persisted with the metals but there were no more signs of pollock and I changed to the soft plastics. The area seems to hold large numbers of them feeding in the narrow bay, but so far I haven't caught any really big ones there.. I rigged a 4'' Reins rockvibe shad on a 7g Jobee weedless jighead and started getting bites as soon as it touched bottom. They were mostly average fish with weights ranging from 0.5kg to 1kg but good fun nonetheless.
Geared up to go!








I wanted to try some more areas so I decided to move on. I went to the adjacent bay were Ive only fished once before, though unsuccessfully. It is very surprising, as the water is very deep there and the bottom is covered with kelp. I fished with the Sp's but got not even a single bite, I changed to a mini-pilker and on the third cast I got a very aggressive take and a vigorous fight.. The fish was fighting in midwater and I couldn't tell what it was. It felt a bit like a mackerel,but then it went on the surface and I saw it was a nice garfish! It is a very good fighter and another new species for me on the island. Although I kept trying I got no more fish there. I think that wrasse prefer a rocky rather than kelpy habitat and that's maybe why I get none there.


Again I decided to move, this time on my rock-ledge mark to target some bigger wrasse and try some other presentations and hard lures. More specifically, I wanted to try a tiny squid imitation jig by Aquarius (Ernest Mago Ika Sama) that I ordered from japan last year and never got the chance to use it..
I started working the lure next to the rock wall and got some tentative bites, after giving the lure some gentle twitches I had a solid take and a nice wrasse soon after. I got some more wrasse and also a pollack, that all seemed to like the little jig.




The hour was getting late, and as the bites started to dry up I called it a day. A very long session but I really enjoyed it as I caught a nice variety of fish and on different presentations. No monsters this time but they don't need to be with the LRF gear!

Thanks for reading.


Gear used.
Rod: Golden Mean Symphonia, 0.6-8g, 8'6''
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Spiderwire invisibraid 0.10mm, Trilene fluorocarbon 10lbs
Lure: Solvkroken Stingsild and Jaxon pilkers 7g, 4'' Reins Rockvibe shad,
 Ernest Mago Ika Sama jig 3.5g

 

No comments:

Post a Comment