Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Angler on a ledge...

On my day off I wanted to do some more exploratory sessions around the island. I have been here for a month and a half now and there are still marks I haven't visited! On Tuesday the weather gave me an extra reason to do so, as there were strong westerly winds and they affected the fishing on my usual marks (most on the west side of the island). Thus I gave a look at the map and found a promising area on the east side.. Only downside is that the access would be very difficult as it is a sheer cliff-face..
Not knowing if I could fish there I still took my LRF gear and went for a hike.. The only accessible mark I found was a beach, that although lovely wouldn't contain many rock-loving species like wrasse... There was a path amid bushes and shrub, leading on the top of the cliff and after a while it lead me close to the sea and to a less bushy area. I carefully descended and managed to find a single rock-ledge that I could stand and fish on. The waters where deep and on my right there was a small bay, full of big boulders in close proximity to a drop-off and a few reefs about 20 meters out. A very fishy spot..
I started fishing with a Trigger X craw imitation, on a weedless jighead and as soon as I dropped it on the bottom I started getting taps. The fish weren't taking very aggressively and after a few missed takes were I didn't manage to set the hook properly (big hooks on light rod) all went quiet..
I tried many other softbaits but there was no more action. I reverted on the Trigger X craw, but this time texas rigged on a N1 Owner Rig n Hook offset hook and a 3.5g bullet weight. I kept casting almost at the rock-walls and let the lure sink on a semi controlled drop (letting line when it was getting tight) and after a couple casts I got some taps. I let them develop and as soon as I felt the weight I set the hook and managed to land the first fish of the session  after a spirited fight.
The rock ledge.



After the first fish all went quiet again and I decided to move to some rocks (exposed by the tide) closer to the centre of the boulder-strewn bay. I continued using a craw softbait, but changed to an Ecogear Bug Ants. First cast into a deep hole and I got a bite. Tried to set the hook but the fish let go.. Second cast, bite and this time the fish was on.. I felt solid weight and the first run was unstoppable.. A few more runs and I slowly started to get it under control. With steady pressure I was getting it closer and away from the bottom. When it came near the surface my jaw dropped! It was a proper rock-pig! And since the tide had fallen even more I now needed to find a way to reach it with my net.. After some 'panicky' moments and a last  run, I finally managed to net the fish and get it on the rocks.
I had no scales with me but this fish was well in excess of 2.5 kgs as it dwarfed my previous pb of 1.8kgs. Anyway, It was an impressive fish on my LRF gear and a new pb so I was over the moon!
I kept fishing the small bay and managed a few more fish, all on the Bug Ants. After that I decided to move as I felt completely 'full' from this session.
The way up was a martyrdom, but it was all worth it in the end..
 
 





I had another session yesterday morning and only managed two little wrasse again on craw lures, The conditions seemed perfect but as I have started to note, fish so far have tended to bite better at midday and after. More over I'm noting that fish start to show preference for creature baits and this is pretty reasonable as I haven't seen any fry about yet.
All in all, I'm hoping that this weather stays like this, so that I can get some action with the summer species!

Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Golden Mean Symphonia, 0.6-8g, 8'6''
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig: texas, 3.5g bullet weight, Owner N1 Rig n Hook offset.
lure: Trigger X flappin craw 7cm, Ecogear Bug Ants 3''


 

No comments:

Post a Comment