Search This Blog

Saturday 18 May 2013

Wrasse on hard lures.

Yesterday I managed to get the night off from work and decided to visit the mark near my house since I haven't fished there for a while. Moreover I wanted to try some new things , namely to fish for wrasse with hard lures and also figure out the areas pollock prefer here.
I started fishing around 19:00 and the tide was coming in.
Firstly, I started fishing the Jika rig to see if the fish are there.. After catching the first one I changed presentation by tying a small vibration lure from Jackall. I was trying to mimic a fleeing crustacean by letting the lure static for long periods and just giving it short sharp flicks to  make it vibrate and letting it sink again. The bites came faster than I expected and after setting the hook, I had my
first wrasse on a hard lure!

The first one on a hard lure!
 I managed to get more fish on the same lure, with the biggest being about 1.5kg. They seemed to hit the lure soon after the first couple twitches at the bottom. The lure seemed to work better from a near vertical or high position as I had more control and could make it vibrate with shorter twitches. Although not nearly as snag proof as a texas rig, I managed to cover the area fast and didn't have any missed bites..

 


 
As the light was fading fast and the bites dried up, I decided to move to the inner area of the peninsula I was on. That area hasn't provided me with any fish so far but seems fishy and there was some prey fish activity.. I switched lure to a small ice-pilker with a single assist hook and started casting and jigging it about. At one point I let the lure fall next to the rock-face I was standing and when it touched bottom, I gave it a couple jerks.. I got a proper bite and the fish crash-dived straight to the bottom taking drag and chaffing the line on the rocks. The line held and I managed to get the fish up. I was expecting a pollock but actually it was a feisty little wrasse!

I kept working the area and did manage to catch some pollock in the end, but not the ones I was after, with a shoal of mini pollock attacking the pilker every time!

 

A very interesting session that got me thinking about my approach and presentations. I will need to get some more fish on other types of hard baits as well, but it seems that this species is a true bottom predator and full of surprises..


Tight lines all!


Gear used.
Rod: Golden Mean Symphonia, 0.6-8g, 8'6''
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 3lbs
lure: mainly Jackall TN50 Salt and Jaxon 7g Ice pilker.


No comments:

Post a Comment