Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Just like spinning for trout!

For the past two days I have been going down the harbour after work targeting the pollock but only managed a mackerel the first day and a blank yesterday.. I don't know the reason why the fish didn't come on the bite as the tides were good. It could be the weather as it was a bit chilly, but tonight I was determined to go and catch some pollock!
I had a short session in the morning were I used some old school spinners and managed to get a couple follows from a bass or mullet (cant say for sure) but the fish turned as soon as it saw me. Nevertheless this gave me the idea to try them at night as they offer a different pattern/action and they could hopefully get me some fish..
Thus as soon as I finished work I went down the harbour and started fishing at around 21:45. I started with soft plastics but was getting nothing. Then I put on a cheapo size 2 golden spinner and start casting, letting it touch bottom and retrieve in a medium/fast pace with some erratic twitches. Soon I felt a sharp tug and fish on! It was a small pollock of about a pound. I recast at the same spot and get the same. I had found the fish and was catching them a fish at a chuck. They weren't big fish but I felt good trying something different and succeeding in catching after two nights in a row..
I also tried various other lures but it was clear that they only wanted the spinner!
The action held until it got really dark and then I decided to call it a day.





I think I landed about 8 of them and managed to loose one as it shed the hook. It was really nice catching them on the spinner and it reminded me of the effectiveness of these simple age-old lures.. A good reason to use them more often..

Thanks for reading and tight lines!


Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Spiderwire invisibraid 0.10mm, Trilene fluorocarbon 10lbs
Lure: size 2 golde plated spinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment