Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 February 2013

A pinch of salt...

I had the chance to fish the  beautiful yet treacherous cliffs at St Bees during the summer and although the climbing up and down was always tiring and at times dangerous, the results were for the most part good.
I first went to St Bees in pursuit of wrasse and pollock, as I had never caught these species and was really interested in them. Surprisingly the soft plastics were not as successful as I expected.. The fish were usually more than 20m away and I had much more success utilising mini-pirks/jigs and ultra light shore jigging techniques!
The first fish I caught was neither pollock nor wrasse though.. It was of course the aggressive mackerel.

I had some action-packed sessions fishing for this fish as it gives an awesome fight, I admit its not the hardest fishing in the world but the sheer fun cannot be surpassed.. The only problem with this species though is its sensitivity to handling, thus its fishing needs restraint.. The pollock were plentifull as well, though in small sizes but gave a good acount of themselves on the LRF gear..




When the fish were further away than the reach of the lrf gear, I used a heavier setup and had very good results on pollock using small kabura jigs like the Duel Salty Bait. The mainlines I used was Berkley nanofil 0.12 and spiderwire invisibraid 0.06 with fluorocarbon leaders of 15lb and 4lb respectively.
Thanks for reading and tight lines!
Dimitrios

 

No comments:

Post a Comment