Search This Blog

Saturday 9 February 2013

Starting up: trout

Hello and welcome to my blog friends! My name is Dimitrios and I'm quite mad about lure fishing! Ive fished since I can remember and I focus mostly on ultra light spinning and  light rock fishing.
In this blog Il just try and share my fishing adventures and the usual ups and downs that come with this hobby (or better say obsession!). To begin with I will share in my first couple of posts, some pics from  previous sessions covering fresh and salt water from the beautiful Lake District that took place in 2012.
 
brown trout on Buttermere


These are what I call gremlins! They are tarn brown trout that due to the lack of a serious source of food plus the isolation, have become a "stunted" population, attaining small sizes and are always providing some good fun on the UL equipment. As their larger cousins, they prefer spinners, micro-spoons and little softbaits. The equipment I used on the lake brownies was an Awa-Shima Qlite spin, solid tipped at 2.40m with a 1-5gr casting weight, paired with a shimano nexave 1000fc and 3lb fluorocarbon mainline. I used the same reel and line for the tarn trout but for a rod i prefer to use a Daiwa spinmatic 6" 1/32-1/18oz or a Daiwa procyon 6,6" 1/32-1/8oz.
 
 
The fish on the left was the biggest i caught from Bleaberry tarn... The first downside to tarn fishing in my opinion has got to be the hiking though! lol. Usually takes about an hour and a half... The second downside is the weather you encounter once you reach it...!





 
 Getting to grips with this but hope you like the pics.. More to come..
Thanks.








 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. could I have the details of the softbait used ? I fished the same tarn but with a dry fly .... I caught a small brown Trout within three casts .
    Cheers Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an ecogear power shirasu 2" my friend.
      Stunning place to fish...

      Delete
  2. Hi mate. Thanks for the advice I've just started up tarn fishing. I love in the lake district and I've fished scoat tarn, sthead tarn, and sprinkling tarn so far. I'm going to try and make it to bleaberry this week. What sort of spinner did you use on bleaberry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly tiny mepps and micro spoons 1.5-3g.

      Delete