Search This Blog

Sunday 10 February 2013

Starting up: Pike

I did some pike fishing in Crummock water and Loweswater, although some times unintentionally! To explain, I was targeting perch with a spinner in Crummock one afternoon in June, using a tiny N1 spinner on my ultralight setup and after a while I was surprised at the lack of perch at that particular spot. That spot had given fish almost every time I fished it! On the next cast and with the spinner nearing the shore, I got the answer.. A nice pike attacked my lure and after a monumental fight on my gear was landed.This was the first and last pike I caught in that lake! I had more success in Loweswater, were with the proper pike gear I managed to get some more around the 8lb mark.
All came from spots near lilly pads and at stream mouths..

Its a jungle down there!



The equipment I use for pike is: Shimano Beastmaster 8-9ft, 14-40gr casting weight paired with an Abu Garcia Soron 40, filled with Berkley Nanofil 0.12mm and finished with a titanium trace from Dragon (9kg). The most successfull lure was the Savagear Soft 4play at 13 cm.

Thanks for reading




2 comments:

  1. Boga grips are a massive no no for pike, barbaric, as the blood around the grips in the pikes mouth demonstrates, learn how to handle pike properly, or don't fish for them, Boga's are about as antequated as gaffs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people say that fishing catch and release is barbaric and cruel as well, moreover using large jerkbaits with huge trebles cant be any less damaging too... Hope you see where im going with this..
      I agree with you on this though and I havent used grippers for a while now. Chin-hold is the best method but on 'green' fish and especially jacks the hand can get dangerously close to the gills.. I have heard good comments on plastic grips and will give them a go soon..
      Thanks for the comment

      Delete