Search This Blog

Sunday 10 February 2013

Starting up: perch

Later in summer when the trout were starting to become hard to catch, I started focusing on the perch of Crummock water and Loweswater and the results were pretty good with some sessions seeing more than 15 fish caught and at times I was caching them at my feet! The fish weren't very big, as should be expected from these deep glacial lakes but plentiful and topping 600g.


 
The most successful technique was the dropshot. And the most productive lures proved to be the Lake Fork 2.25" live baby shad and the Dichoso 2.25" Umiushi Worm. The hooks I used were either size 6-4 mosquito hooks or size 4-2 sickle octopus on 3lb fluorocarbon mainline. Due to the very snaggy ground I didn't use standard dropshot leads but incorporated the special swivel with a weak-link to a standard sinker. Moreover, at the end of the season I switched the lead for a mini-pilk as the fish needed some persuasion...
Thhe dropshot rig I used.. Not so dear...!
 
 
I will finish with some more photos of these beautiful perch..
Thanks for reading!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment