Search This Blog

Sunday 17 February 2013

Dropshotting for canal Pike at Carnforth marina.

Today was another beautiful day and after going to the gym, I drove to Carnforth in order to fish at the marina there. When I arrived, I found lots of people out walking the dogs, cycling and a few fishing. There was only one jack caught between all of them on deadbait and not much after that.
Unfazed I started rigging up my Ul rod using some knot 2 kinky wire (12lb) as I have been trying various components to manage catching perch and pike on the dropshot. The best results so far have been by using thick fluorocarbon (20lbs) but u still need to change it after every fish..
My dropshot rig using knot 2 kinky wire.
The marina.
 The marina has depths of around 2m and the water today was quite dirty.
 Still, as soon as I passed in front of the deadbaiters I made a far cast near a barge and after working the lure I felt a sharp tug, I set the hook and the fish was on. It took a while to come up from the depths as it was fighting extremely well on my Ul gear, when it surfaced I slipped the net and landed a lovely and plumb jack of about 4lbs. I persisted for a couple more hours and other than a jack to the bait boys I saw no other fish. A very surprising fact of this area is that I haven't caught a perch here and cant figure out the reason why..




The softbait used was the famous Panic minnow dropswim at 3.3" mounted on a VMV spinshot size 6 hook tied on 15cm of 12lb Knot2Kinky. I tied 30cm of 3lb fluoro to the sinker for the bottom end.  I cant tell for sure if the use of this rig will allow me to catch both perch and pike easily as it needs further testing. All in all it was a pleasant session in lovely weather that I hope it will last for a bit!

Thanks for reading and tight lines
Dimitrios

No comments:

Post a Comment