Search This Blog

Saturday 23 February 2013

When everything fails... LRF!

Today the weather was cold and even snowed at times. I was thinking about doing some jack-pike fishing down the canal and as soon as I finished with the house chores, I geared up and was at the bank in no time.. I tied my usual pike drop shot trace, although with some new hooks (Gamakatsu dropshot jig 90) and a Panic Minnow dropswim at the business end.. I started fishing at all the usual spots but it was hard work having my fingers frozen even though I was wearing gloves! I walked about a mile or so without even a whiff of a take, let alone a fish.. As I neared a bridge that is a well known hot spot, I got the very first bite of the day, but instead of a pike I landed a small perch. After releasing the hungry mini-predator, I persisted for a while with the pike rig, but after I fished all the previously productive swims it seemed that today wasn't going to be my day. Thus I thought of having some fun doing LRF style for the little perch as I had found one and surely there were going to be more around there... I tied a new rig using a size 8 Owner mosquito hook and instead of a dropshot lead I just pinched two AAA shots 15cm away from the hook. The lure of choice was the Big Bite Panfish minnow in Alewife colour 1.5". First cast and I started getting the usual perch-nibbles at the lure,  after waiting for a second for the fish to commit I stroked lightly and I landed the second little perch of the day.. Soon more followed  and I had the chance to try some more softies including the well known Marukyu Power Isome, but in the end it seemed that the fish only wanted the minnow! I did miss some fish, but I think I ended up with around 8 fish in a matter of 30 minutes until the sunset, when the bites died down...

The first one of the day.




 


 


Its not the first time that LRF saves the day but today was a prime example of its fish-catching potential. In a day with cold and miserable conditions and big fish not wanting to play ball, I still managed to catch something and have fun!
The lack of bigger fish I think was down the ability of them in capturing larger prey and not needing to feed so often, thus in a day like today I think they chose to skip a meal!
I was really surprised about the bait preference the fish showed towards the panfish minnow, ignoring every other bait..I can only explain this due to the season and location, as I have seen perch preying on little silverfish and ruffe there and not being accustomed in worm-style baits..

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Equipment used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray BAWO Superhard Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
Rig: dropshot with 2 AAA splitshots
Hook: Owner mosquito N8
Lure: Big Bite Panfish minnow 1.5"

2 comments:

  1. You need to throw away that lip gripper and hold the fish properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The less you touch a fish the healthier it will be. Even more so in winter where you shock the fish by the sudden change in temperature(hands). The lip gripper does zero harm to such small fish as they are too light to get their lips torn. Truth be told I dont use them that much these days anyway, but theyre indispensable for toothy and/or poisonous spined fish..

      Delete