Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Perseverance pays off...

Past few days I have been focusing and experimenting mostly on catching perch and pike on the same drop shot rig on Ul gear. The results so far have been encouraging.. I have managed to catch some nice pike and a couple of specimen perch even though the conditions have been far from ideal.
On Monday and Tuesday  the sun was shining all day with temperatures around 7C but the water was turbid (30cm visibility aprox) and I only managed one nice perch and some more little ones.. Today it was overcast around 3C and windy but with better visibility. I managed two jacks that were good fun as always but no perch, although I did miss some that didn't get hooked..

The only one worth taking a photo!




What never ceases to amaze me in winter fishing is the action of softplastics. I have found that although some of my favourite ones seem very soft and "wiggly" during the warmer seasons and catch plenty of fish, in winter time they become harder due to the temperature and don't wiggle as much.. Therefore I tend to go for extremely soft/pliable ones now and even more so if they are segmented as they tend to be less affected by temperature changes and keep their action.
All in all the fishing was hard work and the pike ruined my softbaits, but since I've managed to catch a few its all good in my book!
Thanks for reading and tight lines.

Equipment used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray BAWO Superhard Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
Rig: Knot2Kinky 12lbs
Hook: VMC Spinshot N6
Lure: HTO Pro worm, 3.8" Pink

1 comment: