Search This Blog

Thursday 28 February 2013

Hard going, but things are looking up...

The last few days the weather has been nice and sunny during the day but frosty during night time, with parts of the Lancaster canal being iced up today. I have done a few outings but the serious fish just didn't want to play ball, even though I used many lures and presentations... Therefore I put the little softies on and also took my girl with me for some company. Now, as you would expect she wasn't very keen on following me around and just holding the net and after I managed some feisty little perch from under our feet she wanted a piece of the action! So I prepped her a UL setup comprising of, Daiwa Procyon 6.6", 1/32-1/8 oz rod, Shimano Nexave 1000 fd reel and 3lb siglon fluorocarbon. The softbait used was the Big Bite Panfish minnow 1.5" on light dropshot with a SSG shot at the end.
After showing her the do's and dont's as well as how to work the lure, we got stuck in but the action was really slow... I wasn't happy with the lack of fish and her technique so I took her rod and tried to show her exactly how to do it...As the lure neared the bank I could see some flashes behind it and feeling the bite I told her : And that's how you do it! and pulled the little fish out to her face! Don't you just love this when it happens... Continuing our session, she missed some bites and also got bitten off by a little pike but in the end she caught a baby perch and was over the moon with her first fish ever! While I managed a couple more tiny perch, but all in all it was a very slow day..
Forgot to show her how to handle them! lol



 

Again we tried other Sp's as well but the Panfish minnow was the only one successful...
Recently I have also visited Glasson Dock and fished a very short session there, but the results (or more accurately the potential results) were very promising. I changed 3 swims and at each swim, my lure got attacked first cast, by some well-sized pike that I just couldn't seem to hook! I think that size 6-4 hooks are too small for these fish and have modified my rigs accordingly...
Bellow are some pics and as you can see, the place looks very 'fishy'...


 
Hopefully the fish will start feeding properly soon and Im also going to fish Glasson dock more as Im sure I'l have better results there...
 
Thanks for reading and Tight lines
 
Equipment used.
A)
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray BAWO Superhard Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
Rig: dropshot with SSG splitshot
Hook: Owner mosquito N8
Lure: Big Bite Panfish minnow 1.5"
 
B)
Rod: Daiwa Procyon, 6.6",1/32-1/8oz
Reel: Shimano Nexave 1000fd
Mainline: Sunline Siglon Fluorocarbon 3lbs
Rig, hook, lure: same as above.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment